Last Sunday I participated in a Google+ Photo Walk in Portland. The group met up at Union Station at 4:30pm. During the walk we made our way from the train station, through China Town, over the Burnside bridge and down along the east side of the river, and ending the trip at the Hair of the Dog Brewery. The weather stayed true to the Portland stereotype by Raining most of the evening, it was quite windy too at times.
Even with the weather as it was the event was a great success. After reviewing my images there are a number of images that I’m really happy with and I have also seen many images from other participants that are really great! Also, I learned a few things from this event:
1. My current camera bag doesn’t work very well for me and my shooting style – and basically a pain:
- It’s a funky shape that doesn’t make getting to gear easy on the fly – at least the amount of gear I want to store.
- The material didn’t hold up that well in the weather
- The strap design doesn’t fit my shoulders well
I have ordered a new heaveier duty bag and will review it if I like it in the future.
2. Don’t forget to bring a lens cloth. I was constantly having to wipe the front of my lenses off and had to use my shirt-sleeve as a backup.
3. It’s fun to shoot scenes with different approaches – I shot my 5D Mark II for most of the night but on my way back to my car I shot a few scenes with my iPhone and instagram and two of the images are among my favorites from the event!
4. Next time I will make sure to introduce myself to more people and socialize more – I was feeling a bit under the weather and was a bit of a anti-social during most of the evening. I definitely will need to talk to more people next time!
The photo walk was a great excuse to get out and photograph. It forced me to work a bit out of my comfort zone with the weather and the path being partially pre-chosen (I deviated a bit) at a few spots but for the most part followed it.
Here’s a some of images from the event: